Tuesday, June 26, 2007

24 hours of visible light-ugh!

Official sunrise 3:01 am, sunset 12:46 am, giving the length of day to 21 hours, 45 minutes....tomorrow will be 2 minutes 42 seconds shorter on the length of day. And we are still at 24 hour of visible sunlight!
This length of light is really weird and have come to the conclusion that it's the main reason for making Paco such a pill. Last week he bit my neck twice, hard enough to bruise but not break the skin, 2 days ago was a different story. That was the first time he's bit me & drawn blood...pretty good size gash too. I was suspecting the amount of light, I've got him next to a north facing window in this apartment. My suspicions were confirmed in a discussion on one of my Yahoo groups when someone asked why their year old Quaker was being newly aggressive...a breeder responded that it could be the amount of light the bird was getting.
I on the other hand am just plain tired from all the sunlight...and I mean tired, when I was home in ST Louis, I was sleeping 10 hours each night, very unusual for me for I usually get somewhere between 6 & 7 hours. I was so happy to see stars for the first time in months that I stood in the dark, staring up at the night sky looking at the stars for at least 10-15 minutes.
The ever present sun has given me a new out look on night & the stars...just like back in the winter when I went for weeks without seeing the sun helped give me a new outlook on the sun & sunsets....I remember the first time I saw a sunset in almost 2 months, due to work schedule and weather. Honestly when I look back on it, it was not that great of a sunset, but at the time it was beautiful.
The extreme lengths of light & dark each have their beauty. The lack of light allows the snow to collect on the trees, creating that fairy tale effect that you can see on some of my cross country skiing pictures. The extreme length of day has allowed everything to grow VERY quickly, and there are some really beautiful flowers blooming...I have a folder made for just the wildflowers that I've taken pictures of...check it out! http://picasaweb.google.com/marzsaetel/AlaskaFlowers

No comments: