Sunday, September 30, 2007

Back in Anchorage



Well, I'm back in Anchorage.
Not quite settled in for I have yet to close on the house in Willow, and I want to get my stuff to Willow before deciding what needs to stay here in Anchorage. Ugh.

Yesterday, I drove out to Whittier, it's about an hour away. The cool thing is that the only way you can get there by car is to go through a tunnel that was originally designed for just a train to go through. I do believe it was back in 2000 that they reworked it so that cars could go through it also, though, not at the same time. One neat thing, since it's only a one way tunnel, there is a schedule as to when the tunnel is open to get to Whittier and when you can go through to get to the rest of the state.
Here is a link for the tunnel:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/virtualdrive.htm
(sorry, don't know why the auto link isn't working)

I had lucked out both times and arrived at the tunnel just as it was being opened for the direction I was going. So, I had no time to eat the lunch that I had brought with me.
Luck was also with me, in the fact that I was going to drive to Seward, but then decided not to do it. I stopped at a pull over point on the Seward highway on my way back to Anchorage to eat my lunch...a very late lunch at that. Not long after I'd finished my sandwich, I noticed a white line off in the distance, I shrugged it off thinking that I wouldn't be as lucky to stumble upon the right place and right time to watch the bore go through. I'd noticed that the white line had gotten closer, still thinking that it was a play of the sun & clouds, I kept an eye on the line...just in case. Well, not much more than a minute later, I had come to the conclusion that it was my lucky day and I'd get to see the bore tide for the first time in person. I was amazed as to how loud it was, and how quickly it moved. You can see and hear it here in this video.

After watching the tide come through, I understand how it can be surfed, and yes, there are a BUNCH of crazies that do surf it!

No comments: