Sunday, September 30, 2007

It's funny how things work out....

I have to laugh to night.
You see,earlier today I'd called my good friend Sarah thinking she had already returned from Nome and was in Memphis. Well, when she answered the phone, she thought I was in St. Louis. To both of our surprises, we were both in Anchorage. Me in my apartment, her in the airport. What makes this so funny is that each time our assignments ended, we tried to meet up in St. Louis. It never happened, once we missed each other by a mere 6 hours. So, after the last 10 1/2 months of us trying to connect @ home, we've now meet up 3 times in Alaska!
After we both got over the initial shock that we were once again in the same city...in Alaska, we had decided to go out for dinner and a little shopping for her plane wasn't to leave for another 3 1/2 hours...too bad I hadn't called two hours earlier for I could have driven her up to Willow to see my new cabin, which she has been wanting to see in person.
We had done the shopping bit pretty quickly for Sarah needed a roll around backpack or suitcase for her carry-on (her over the shoulder pack was hurting her back).
With a little over two hours before she needed to be back at the airport, we stopped at The Anchorage Cattle Company for dinner. It was a good thing we had 2 hours, took 15 minutes to have some one come to the table, another 10 before we finally got a menu and it took almost 45 minutes for our meal to arrive (good thing we were only 10 minutes away from the airport!) To make matters worse, they brought out Sarah's dinner, but not mine...was another 10 minutes before I got my dinner. When it was brought out, there was no baked potato (this was at 6:30 so it's not like it was the end of the night), they were out, so I opted for the garlic mashed potatoes. Another 10 minutes go by, no taters...seemed that they were out of those too and it would take another 15 minutes before they were ready so the waitress offered a free dessert. I took that instead of the 15 minute wait for mashed potatoes.
Too bad about the place, the food was really good but the lack of supplies and lousy service just screams "we are going out of business" and/or "our management sucks big time".
All in all, we were able to catch up on things during our insanely long wait times and talked about plans as to where we wanted to work next and possible connection points for us to get together again.

1 comment:

Swartzie said...

I love it! I haven't had a chance lately to play on Blogger, and I see this! How funny it DID work out!! So glad I got to see you!